Thursday, March 29, 2012

A reminder

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/girl-facebook-pics-provoke-case-030010816.html?fb_action_ids=10150759117189493%2C3614086755526%2C2850639748081%2C10150739891456066%2C10150620462397116&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQBDK0uMIeiaHMX1_zVFSA61c6JtBNO6BL28Sa-hEvc_HvtR-33ZHUVys9RJKZK1uuLc5zOJGpq5CIocgDQ9VQBbe2xWfM1ProFS7FYPYC3roX7zMmK4_yui6LdlH-qw0sB_Feqc6JzZO2DnKidgI_ekSo5v6FfI4KZtdlHBVNiwj1uozH0Ghi1GMfwz3_lcLfI#_=_

A couple of days ago while I was checking out my facebook account for updates I read an article that reminded me of why I don't go to church. I haven't gone to church in about two years now and before I used to just think that it was just because I've never felt the deep connection that most people feel with whatever God they believe in.

That still holds true, but the article really bothered me because it was a reminder of what I really hate about the church. An archaic organization that passes judgement on people who aren't even doing anything to them even though they themselves should be judged for what they do or do not do. Outdated ideas that have no place in the world anymore are still being forced down the throats of those who have moved on from days long gone by a church mired by countless controversies through institutions run by conservative bordering on fanatical people. And these are the people who are chosen by many people to educate their children. Scary.

I honestly do not see anything wrong with what the girl did. She was with her family when she was wearing the bikini so what could be so "lewd" about that? I doubt any parent would permit their daughter to wear anything that they themselves would consider lewd so why should this institution presume to know better than them?

As a survivor of an all girls Catholic school, I  can actually relate to how disturbing this is. I know how strict the nuns are and how many things that most people consider to be normal (i.e. drinking, wearing bikinis, staying out all night partying with friends...etc) can be used against a person. I cannot begin to describe the happiness I felt as graduated and went off to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment